Requirements gathering for new package source control

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 01:13:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 22:57 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jesse Keating <jkeating <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Be useful for offline development
>
> Is that really a desirable thing at all? I know decentralized systems are "in"
> at the moment, but I think they're really unhelpful and counterproductive.
> Offline/private development:
> * keeps others from seeing what you're doing - it's a step towards a closed
> development model, away from our goals of openness,
> * risks reinventing the wheel, because you don't know what the comaintainers
> have committed locally,
> * increases the risk of merge conflicts, because a whole bunch of changes gets
> dumped on the repo at once.

How many people just have CVS checkouts they never check-in? its the
same thing, if there are conflicts they have to deal with them before
checking in in any case. so really this is FUD, in fact from my
experience with decentralised VCS, people are more willing to push
random branches to personal repos etc. If you have a personal
development repo, you can drop all your experimental branches there for
others to see if they ever feel like it. Also very useful as a form of
remote backup for tasks you come and go from.

Dave.