RFE: autofsck

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 17:36:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:30:53PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Who, aside from Ted Tso, can do anything else but re-run with "yes"? You
> are just postponing the problem, and thereby adding to the problem.

Most users.

> Though personally, I'd prefer an Anaconda option for it.
>
> 	"Unselect this option if you want to disable automatic repair
> 	 attempts of the filesystem, and have a chance to use a
> 	 raw filesystem editor to directly edit raw blocks on disk"

That would suck. For most users you might as well ask them if they wanted
frobnicate the meta-haddock.

> Let's face it. There are 10 people in the world who could and maybe want,
> to do this to an ext3 filesystem, and I'm pretty sure they maintain less
> then 0.00001% of the Fedora servers ouf there.

There are lots of cases you want that thing to stop. For example if there is
important data on the box and you decide to get advice first. If you follow
the most basic single rule of recovering a damaged file system you want it
to stop so you can make a copy. Indeed you may well need a professional recovery
expert or have a support contract and need to ask the helpdesk...

-y in some cases is also things like:
	"Destroy any hope of recovering your PhD Thesis"

Alan