Requirements gathering for new package source control

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jun 10 19:38:13 UTC 2008

2008/6/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>:

> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 21:16 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > I just had another idea (correct me, when thats already possible -
> > again):
> > How about some kind of automagic spec file generation for the versioning
> > part? Some kind of every commit/branch gets its own Version header
> > generated, that would easily allow every possible assertion on how
> > versioning information shall be handled.
>
> This somewhat possible now, I think the kernel package has done
> something like this in the past.  It makes the spec file look like soup
> though, and not very friendly to those that want to base their work off
> your spec file outside our source control.  Personally I'd rather stay
> away from source control magic making it's way into the specfiles.

Which limits us to spec file hell forever?  I think a two pronged solution
is going to be better moving forward:

1) Encourage people to work within the Fedora context as much as possible,
and thus gain the advantage as we improve our tools
2) For those that can't (e.g. you're a company with modifications to
kernel/whatever you want to keep secret), we make it easy to bootstrap a
koji instance and the rest of our tools inside your firewall