Problem with fedoraproject.org DNS?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 03:14:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Chris Adams wrote:

> I'm not sure where to send this really, but it appears there is a
> problem with the DNS for fedoraproject.org.  Depending on which .ORG
> server I ask, I either get pointed to:
>
> fedoraproject.org.      86400   IN      NS      ns1.theplanet.com.
> fedoraproject.org.      86400   IN      NS      ns2.theplanet.com.
>
> or:
>
> fedoraproject.org.      86400   IN      NS      ns1.fedoraproject.org.
> fedoraproject.org.      86400   IN      NS      dns1.j2solutions.net.
>
> The whois records seem to indicate the first is correct.  However, the
> theplanet servers don't appear to have any records for
> fedoraproject.org.
>
> Also, since there doesn't appear to be a glue records for
> ns1.fedoraproject.org, that server is unreachable.  The j2solutions
> server appears to actually have data.

We put a request in to iron mountain for projectofedora.org earlier this
week.  For some reason, they made the changes to fedoraproject.org.  If
you 'dig ns1.fedoraproject.org' and get sections with "theplanet.com" in
it, this affects you.

Because we do not control your dns servers, (or the planets) there is
little we can do about fixing it quickly.  The problem has been fixed but
the cache in your DNS may not be corrected.  re-run the command
"dig ns1.fedoraproject.org"

If you see a section like:
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
fedoraproject.org.      60799   IN      NS      ns2.theplanet.com.
fedoraproject.org.      60799   IN      NS      ns1.theplanet.com.

Look at the number in the second field.  thats how many seconds remain
until your services refresh and you start hitting the correct dns settings
again.  In the meantime you can access fedora services via /etc/hosts and
looking up ip addresses via http://www.dnswatch.info/

Sorry for the confusion / trouble.  I honestly have no idea how we could
have prevented this since "projectofedora.org" isn't even a typo away from
"fedoraproject.org" :)  I'll talk to our primary Iron Mountain contact and
see if they have any ideas.

	-Mike