Package EVR problems in Fedora 2008-06-10

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 16:58:48 UTC 2008

2008/6/11 Nicolas Mailhot:

>> When you do this backporting, add a release bump after the %{?dist}
>> instead of before it, e.g.:
>>
>> ocaml-json-static-0.9.6-3.fc9
>> ocaml-json-static-0.9.6-3.fc8.1
>
> I really don't see why ocaml-json-static-0.9.6-3.fc8 can not be
> created instead. Our tools allow the following workflow
>
> push foo-x-1.fc8
> push foo-x-1.fc9
> push foo-x-2.fc9
> push foo-x-2.fc8
>
> There is zero reason why foo-x-2.fc8 can not be built after foo-x-2.fc9

I believe the problem here is the packager develops and builds for F9
[or Rawhide], then mass-distributes a final package to F8 and older
branches, finds out that it doesn't build and fixes it till it builds.
While fixing it, release is bumped once or multiple times, but not
right of %{dist}. Since the fixes are specific to the older dists,
they are not pushed to F9/Rawhide. The spec files and release values
get out-of-sync.