Let's make a plan for python3.0 in Fedora 10+

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:59:59 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-06-12, 09:16 GMT, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>> also see the potential upgrade nightmare a switch to a non
>> backwards compatibility version of python and for anaconda
>
> Am I totally wrong when I think that 2.6 should be 100% backward
> compatible with 2.5 (unless explicitly requested in the python
> script itself and even then it should just emit
> DepreceatedWarnings)?
>
> Matěj

Python will contain some forward 3.0 compability, i have not read any
thing about 100% backwards compatibility.

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3000/

but even if it is, then you will have to do a

a python 2.5 to python 2.6 with (__future__) features to use some of the
new stuff.
and later you have to do a 2.6 with (__future__) features to python 3.0,
because as they state in then pep-3000

<snip>
There is no requirement that Python 2.6 code will run unmodified on
Python 3.0
</snip>

Tim