Requirements gathering for new package source control

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 12 14:13:23 UTC 2008

> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 08:51 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Iff you have access to all architectures Fedora tries to support and iff
> > Fedora repos were consistent (Which they often aren't)
>
> It's nearly impossible for all the Fedora repos to be "consistent" with
> the buildsystem, particularly because people want what they just built
> available in the buildroot to build other things against.  We can't do a
> continual stream of changes to the rawhide directory throughout the day,
> that's just begging for mirrors to slaughter me.  Rawhide is only a
> snapshot, the development stream within Koji is ever moving.
Well, though I don't understand this (You could build against rawhide
and sync rawhide with newly built packages), I am not complaining ...
... I am just describing what I consider to be facts, which I consider
to sufficient reasons for users to apply "scratch-builds" :)

At the very moment packagers are facing architectural dependent bugs, or
observe build-breakdown in koji, which can't be reproduced in local
"rawhide builts", ... scratch-builds become a valuable tool.

Ralf