Changing XDrawChem to Bkchem

Henrique Junior henriquecsj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 03:26:00 UTC 2008

Friends,

I've using Fedora as my main distro for a while now (FC 3) and here in
Brazil, where I study Chemical Engineering, I started to use the excellent
XDrawChem software, for drawing chemical structures and diagrams of
reactions. I discovered, however, that the development of the program is
freezed since November of 2005 [1] and the activities in the discutions
lists had ceased a long time ago.
The future of this software seems uncertain and, until this point, poor
promising, since improvements are not being made and it's outdated in
comparison of what expect from a system that cares about constant evolution.
After some research and tests, I found the BkChem [2], that it is similar in
functions, but it's uninterruptedly being developed and that, in fact, it
had shown better results compared to the XdrawChem could obtain at the
moment. The structures are more clear, the methods of drawing more refined
and the plugins and tools already are compared with the ones that the
XDrawChem had. The BkChem is distribuited under GPL and seems to be a good
(and promising) substitute to the deceased XdrawChem.

[1] -  http://xdrawchem.sourceforge.net/
[2] - http://bkchem.zirael.org/

Cordially

--