PackageKit UI

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 07:10:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 16:02 +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> Been using packagekit for Fedora 9, and I generally like what I see
> (good work!) things that I think can be improved/current problems:
>
> 1. Do NOT list multiple versions of the same package. I see that in
> current Fedora release too. At times the version numbers are not that
> easy to compare package-x.y.1.y vs package-x.y.y.1 makes a person
> think. Other times if both are uninstalled, selecting the wrong one
> will probably lead to an updated available applet anywway...

Sure. We've got a LATEST filter in PackageKit for this, but the yum
backend doesn't seem to support it. I might hack on that today on the
plane.

> Solution: only list one - the latest one. If an update is available to
> the installed version, use the corresponding update icon
> (bugfix/enhancement/security) instead of an open or closed box.

Sane.

> 2. The list on the left is a little "controlled". I am guessing the
> shown groups are hard settings instead of all possible groups? what
> groups are subsets of other groups?

Yes, comps is mapped into PK's abstract groups. The abstract groups are
shared with SUSE, foresight and OpenMOKO, and so just using comps wasn't
suitable.

> Solution: have a tree menu. (yes, I realise this was removed earlier
> from development as a "bad idea".) All packages shows the top level of
> groups below it. Clicking on any one group will drop a submenu of its
> subgroups.

Sure, see above.

> 3. There is no groupinstall, nor an obvious way to implement it.
>
> Solution: It does not have to be obvious This is additional
> functionality and can be behind a context menu.

Yes, this was my thinking too.

> I doubt everyone even
> knows about group install. The Pirut way works for those who know
> where to look. It is better than nothing, it works. With a tree menu
> (point 2) of all groups, it also has more power.

Well, I figured that a user would search for KDE and get a ton of
packages. Right click on any one of them and you can install or remove
the whole "set".

> 4a. (from packagekit in Fedora 9) hovering over the applet is sort of useless.
> 4b. The "progress" (similar to
> http://www.packagekit.org/img/gpk-progress.png) and "update/install
> completed" screens is also a useless waste of space. They also leave
> unnecessary windows open. the completed screens just lie in the
> background, ignored, giving no indication that a transaction has been
> completed.

Yes, this is mostly fixed with the new code -- there's only one sort of
progress box now, and it's only got one progressbar.

> Solution: combine the two/three into a better notification:
> hovering/clicking gives a proper notification with a full queue of
> what is waiting to happen, maybe with update bars too. the transaction
> complete bits should also be notifications, not a window that hides
> behind the one you are actually doing work in, waiting for the
> transaction to complete.

I'm not sure about exposing the queue, but it might make sense.

> 5. The updates available icons are not too obvious. Since they are in
> the system tray, it needs to be obvious that they are not just another
> program running there. I think something like the old up2date icons
> (bright red circle with an exclamation mark) would gain more
> attention.

You get the exclaimation mark for high priority or security updates -
but I agree the little orange star isn't that helpful

Cheers for your comments.

Richard.