Changing XDrawChem to Bkchem

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Jun 13 08:21:29 UTC 2008

On Friday, 13 June 2008 at 06:57, Henrique LonelySpooky Junior wrote:
> Em Sex, 2008-06-13 às 00:30 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams escreveu:
> > On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 00:26 -0300, Henrique Junior wrote:
> > > Friends,
> > >
> > > I've using Fedora as my main distro for a while now (FC 3) and here in
> > > Brazil, where I study Chemical Engineering, I started to use the
> > > excellent XDrawChem software, for drawing chemical structures and
> > > diagrams of reactions. I discovered, however, that the development of
> > > the program is freezed since November of 2005 [1] and the activities
> > > in the discutions lists had ceased a long time ago.
> > > The future of this software seems uncertain and, until this point,
> > > poor promising, since improvements are not being made and it's
> > > outdated in comparison of what expect from a system that cares about
> > > constant evolution.
> > > After some research and tests, I found the BkChem [2], that it is
> > > similar in functions, but it's uninterruptedly being developed and
> > > that, in fact, it had shown better results compared to the XdrawChem
> > > could obtain at the moment. The structures are more clear, the methods
> > > of drawing more refined and the plugins and tools already are compared
> > > with the ones that the XDrawChem had. The BkChem is distribuited under
> > > GPL and seems to be a good (and promising) substitute to the deceased
> > > XdrawChem.
> > >
> > > [1] -  http://xdrawchem.sourceforge.net/
> > > [2] - http://bkchem.zirael.org/
> >
> > Thanks for showing an interest!
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
>
> Hi, Ignacio
> I'm not shure to have the necessary skills to do that... =(

If you're willing to learn, I'm sure there are some seasoned Fedora
contributors that will help you (myself included). Why don't you try
creating a package of BkChem and submitting it for review?

Regards,
R.

PS. Please do not top-reply. I've fixed the reply order for this mail.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."