Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Mon Jun 16 06:57:03 UTC 2008

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Really, arguing that Fedora's stance is inconsistent, while in reality
> yours is doesn't gain you much respect. Either:
>
> 1) all firmware is software and must be free in which case support for
> evil hardware which comes with the firmware embedded must be removed
> from linux-libre!

No, because the goal of linux-libre is to have a kernel which doesn't
distribute non-free software.

> 2) all firmware is considered part of the hardware, independend of the
> distribution mechanism of that firmware (the Fedora pov).

---> No, the difference is Fedora is *DISTRIBUTING* the non-free bits.  <---

In fact, I don't even care that much that they are distributing the non-free
bits (e.g. like RedHat), it just extra annoying when they *CLAIM* they are
distributing free/open source software when they are not and they *KNOW* they
are not.

If they were distributing non-free hardware we would all complain to them, like
many on this list do about nvidia and such.

-Jeff