Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 23:34:44 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:44:01PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> My point is that the details of the aggregation are irrelevant and the
>> format of the storage doesn't matter.   The fact that the firmware loader
>> can find the correct chunk of data to load for each separate device shows
>> that the storage maintains the separation.
>
> Would you then agree that this is a correct statement:
>
> "My point is that the details of the aggregation are irrelevant and
> the format of the storage doesn't matter.  The fact that the [dynamic
> linker ld.so] can find the correct chunk of data to load for [the
> shared library] shows that the storage maintains the separation."
>
> If not, why?

That's correct as far as the "identifiable sections" go, but if you
would read the COPYING file, you'd see that there are more requirements
for the permitted aggregations:
"not derived from the Program"
"reasonably considered independent and separate works".

Does a chunk of code obtained from someone else, used with other
operating systems as well, and dropped into separate specific hardware
seem to meet these?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com