PackageKit UI

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Jun 18 13:49:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Callum Lerwick wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Nicolas Mailhot <
>> nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>>
>>  [1] http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application-multiple.png
>>>>
>>> I think your main problem was the tabs gallore on the right side. It's
>>> probably better to have just one column with information presented
>>> sequentially in it
>>>

>> Yes, since its presenting information and not UI, use a collapsible tree.
>> Like say, Wireshark's packet information display.
>>

> I hate having a center column so narrow it needs a scrollbar just to show
> the name of most packages.  Thats just simply an unusable UI, even if the
> right side was collapsible.

Well yes, I don't really like the horizontal three panel thing either.
Widescreen isn't *that* wide, and I'm not likely to have every last machine
in my arsenal upgraded to widescreen for 5 more years, at best. My point
about using a tree instead of tabs still stands. Think in terms of varying
verbosity rather than flipping through pages... (This goes for yumex as
well...)