Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 19 18:57:36 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> If it takes a current concrete example to make sense, swapping out
> reiserfs with zfs in the Linux kernel seems like a good idea. But we
> can't do that because the kernel is too free.

I haven't seen any contributors claim that it is a good idea. Quite the
opposite considering patent concerns and design differences. Assuming it
is, CDDL has additional requirements incompatible with GPLv2 and it was
designed that way and also because the kernel is very different between
Linux and Solaris. The only way to allow absolute flexibility in terms
of licensing is to put stuff in the public domain or very permissive
licenses.

Rahul