Cross toolchain support for SPUs on Cell / ppc64

Jochen Roth jroth at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 20 18:55:19 UTC 2008

A lot of people using the PS3 and / or Cell based systems suffer from
missing toolchain support for building SPU applications just after they
installed Fedora. They have to download the necessary packages from
various places and have to do the package management by their own.

I think that the time is right to support SPUs right out of the box
after installing the latest Fedora release. Therefore we'd need to have
the following packages in Fedora.

spu-binutils
spu-gcc
spu-newlib
spu-gdb

Before we start opening Review Requests in Bugzilla we want to start the
discussion what the best approach for supporting cross compiling
toolchains like the SPU toolchain in Fedora is. As far as I know there
is only one example for cross compiler support in Fedora which is Atmels
AVR.

Our suggestion would be to build spu-binutils from the same source as
the system gcc for ppc is build. Here we'd have to change the ppc
binutils package and add --enable-target=spu . A separate spu-binutils
package including the spu assembly is needed anyhow.

It would also be good to be able to build the spu-gcc from the same
sources as the system gcc is build. It would be even better if the
spu-gcc is build from the same .spec file. Of course this needs a lot of
configuration and adjustments.

For spu-newlib we'd have to create a separate package as we'd have for
spu-gdb.

Thanks for any comment, suggestion and help.

--

Jochen