Firewall and user services that needs open ports

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat Jun 21 19:34:37 UTC 2008

Izhar Firdaus wrote:
> I needed to print through a network printer a few days ago. But it
> doesn't just work. Seems like the firewall need to be stopped and
> cups-config-daemon need to be started (not sure bout the latter, coz i
> simply start all cups related services).
>
> This raises a question, as Fedora turns on firewall by default, what's
> the plan for certain user services that requires firewall to be turned
> off (cups, gnome file sharing) ?? Something like PolicyKit but for
> firewall??. Ubuntu took the easy way of simply disabling firewall, and
> I doubt Fedora will follow that path.

This has been a discussion on some list some time ago... If memory
serves me well it was not becoming the default. I think the only move
forward to make is to;

1) invent a system that will do this kind of thing
2) do the work and test-case / show-case the system
3) make it available to users that would otherwise just shut down the
firewall entirely

-Jeroen