Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jun 23 21:57:10 UTC 2008

2008/6/23 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:

> This weekend at Paul's State of Fedora talk at the end of the sessions
> on Saturday, he mentioned several areas where Fedora really could
> improve. One of these areas was the help that people get on the #fedora
> irc channel.

I think IRC is kind of fundamentally doomed because of the culture.

If we want to emphasize a support medium, the forum is much nicer:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

It has decent search (and unlike Bugzilla your forum thread won't vanish
from search because it's too old or got fixed, grrr)

The live aspect of IRC is nice though; Mozilla has been doing some work on
live chat support which looks potentially useful:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Live+Chat