Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon Jun 23 22:05:31 UTC 2008

On Monday, 23 June 2008 at 23:57, Colin Walters wrote:
> 2008/6/23 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
>

> > This weekend at Paul's State of Fedora talk at the end of the sessions
> > on Saturday, he mentioned several areas where Fedora really could
> > improve. One of these areas was the help that people get on the #fedora
> > irc channel.
>

> I think IRC is kind of fundamentally doomed because of the culture.

It's possible to keep small channels (<50 people) nice and civil, but
with more people, it's not really viable unless you have an op watching
at all times.

> If we want to emphasize a support medium, the forum is much nicer:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
>
> It has decent search (and unlike Bugzilla your forum thread won't vanish
> from search because it's too old or got fixed, grrr)

I, for one, detest the forums (any forums) for their terrible user
interface. Mailing lists or usenet newsgroups are much more convenient
to use.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu