Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 22:12:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> On Monday, 23 June 2008 at 23:57, Colin Walters wrote:
>> 2008/6/23 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
>>

>> > This weekend at Paul's State of Fedora talk at the end of the sessions
>> > on Saturday, he mentioned several areas where Fedora really could
>> > improve. One of these areas was the help that people get on the #fedora
>> > irc channel.
>>

>> I think IRC is kind of fundamentally doomed because of the culture.
>
> It's possible to keep small channels (<50 people) nice and civil, but
> with more people, it's not really viable unless you have an op watching
> at all times.
>
>> If we want to emphasize a support medium, the forum is much nicer:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7
>>
>> It has decent search (and unlike Bugzilla your forum thread won't vanish
>> from search because it's too old or got fixed, grrr)
>
> I, for one, detest the forums (any forums) for their terrible user
> interface. Mailing lists or usenet newsgroups are much more convenient
> to use.

I have to agree... having tried to do Red Hat support through Forums
before.. it was pretty broken ( a long rant has been deleted due to
not wanting to put on another eyepatch). The interface in forums does
not seem to be any more different from 1999/2000 to now. If anything,
you want something that combines mail and forums.. I need to look at
the mailman patches for that.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux