Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 01:55:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 17:11 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> What if there were #fedora-filesystems, #fedora-gnome, #fedora-sound,
> $fedora-$WHATEVER to focus the discussions & keep things a bit more
> manageable?  Or is that just many more tabs for the fedora-keepers to
> lurk in...

One thing to keep in mind is that freenode has a max number of channels
permitted. Not sure what it is offhand, but I do know that I
occasionally hit it as is, and tiering things out will simply make that
more prevalent.

As the "super-op" for all things Fedora/Red Hat IRC, I agree with pretty
much everything Kevin has said. I've been planning to write an IRC "code
of conduct" for some time, but I've not yet gotten that far down my todo
list.

A few things we should consider:

1. Office hours. People who sign up to be "official" helpers during a
regular shift can get +v, making them easily identifiable to people
looking for help. We can document this in the topic (or in a FAQ URL).

2. Auditing. It might not be a bad idea to put a very simple logging bot
in #fedora which just logs the channel text. This would also help us
track abuse in a more reliable way than how it is now ("This guy is
being abusive.")

I think OP shifts are also great ideas, I'd be willing to take a few.

We may need to take a look at who the ops are currently. Folks who
haven't been active or helpful may need to be replaced.

WRT bots, we just need to keep the noise level from any bots to a bare
minimum. Perhaps tie it into a user list so that helpers and chanops can
have it speak in channel, and all other queries go to the user in
privmsg.

I won't be around for the meeting on Thursday, because I'm on vacation
(not that you can tell from my emails), but I'm interested in
participating.

~spot