Custom DSDT Table in the fedora kernel at boot time

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 22:05:43 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan at infradead.org> wrote:
>> said upstream patch was merged by Linus for a short while and then
>> reverted for quality reasons.... so that would be a strong indication
>> of "maybe not a good idea"
>
> Even better... everyone benefits by not being exposed to a poor quality patch.
>
> The question, which I can't personally answer, becomes what is it
> going to take to clean this patch up so it can be upstreamed.

It looks like it's already underway, at least as far as the author is
concerned.  From http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml :

Update as of 2008-03-15: Several maintainers in the Linux kernel have
started to reconsider their position on the feature. The patch as even
made a brief appearance in some development versions of the kernel
2.6.25 (it has been reverted because deemed too likely to bring bugs,
but a new approach, patch v0.9, is already available for next
development cycle).

-Eric