32bit PowerPC questions.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jun 26 21:16:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 15:41 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> JB> That might have had a bigger effect.  I though koji would only run
> JB> one build job per builder?  Or is it per CPU?
>
> I don't know what koji does, but in this case koji was unaware that
> the jobs were still running.  I guess they had been killed from the
> server but not cleaned up on the builders.

This happened a lot with plague too.  I think it's Just Hard in *NIX to
ensure that all ancestors of a given task have been killed dead dead
dead.  Maybe they somehow get out of the parent's process group, they
are just hung and don't respond to signals, they are in D state when the
signals get sent, whatever.  Running craploads of scripts and programs
as part of the build process that fork and exec and do God-knows-what
doesn't lend itself to being cleaned up easily.

I think either cgroups (?) or putting each build in a clean VM which can
be torn down completely is probably the answer.  And out of those two, a
whole new VM would be pretty heavy to create/destroy so it's probably
out of the question.

Dan