/usr/share/eclipse/* -> %{_libdir}/eclipse/

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 18:14:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

In the past we've struggled with multilib issues in the Eclipse SDK
package.  Examples include having to re-pack every JAR to have a common
timestamp, shuffling arch-specific JARs off to %{_libdir} thus causing
headaches with upstream mechanisms (which I'm concerned will continue
with the new version), etc.

I just found out today that Debian ships everything in
%{_libdir}/eclipse to avoid these issues.  I'm proposing we do the same
for Fedora 10 and beyond.

Pros:
- self-contained installation like upstream
- dramatically speeds up builds
- remove potential for bugs with the multiple locations
- looks like an upstream download
- consistency with other distributions

Cons:
- larger disk footprint for multilib installations (on the order of 100
  MB ... although the vast majority of users don't use both)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Andrew