kernel module options for cpufreq

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 07:10:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:13:24PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> * remove CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE -- ondemand automatically
> throttles down to lowest, and is just a hardcoded state

I don't think removal of powersave governor is good idea. Generally
ondemand governor does great job but in some cases doesn't. For
example when I play some films in mplayer ondemand sets frequency to
max which is not needed, of course.

Powersave governor is also good in case that you have bad fan in your
laptop and you are going to compile some big source. Without powersave
it is not possible (yes, it really happens :) )

> Matthew Garrett and I are working on a latency profile for power
> management, and having all these modules potentially loaded is bad.
>
> Comments?

I think we should preserve ondemand and powersave governors (and
potentialy others as Dave Jones wrote in this thread). Please don't
drop them in favour of your project which might be generally better but
I believe there are cases where current governors are better.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.