This session is running as a privileged user box?

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Mon Jun 30 14:50:19 UTC 2008

Hmm, I guess I need to think about why I am trying to do things by logging
in as root.

The first reason is that another account wasn't set up.

The other reason, that looks like it isn't an issue, was I wanted to run
some of the GUI tools as root, but it looks like they just ask for the root
password when run as a normal person, if they need root.

But then why does root's GUI profile have things like a browser or games or
stuff like that?  Stuff you should never run as root?

I did attend a desktop security presentation at the Summit and it seemed
pretty good to try and fix some of these things, as far as letting a user
change things like timezone without needing the root password.

> What you're doing is analogous to using a loaded shotgun as a golf club,
> and what you're suggesting is that we take the safety off, because it
> interferes with your golf game.
>
> ~spot

So shouldn't we be removing some of the lead from the shells if we can?
Like not putting a browser in roots GUI?

I am thinking the biggest reason I login as root is pretty much habit.
And that is now sounding like that is a bad habit, that I should try and
break.  So I am going to try and not login as root any more and see what
issues I run into.

Thanks!
Jerry Williams