file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 00:47:41 UTC 2008

Hans de Goede wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>> Don't you think we should be able to do something to make this situation
>> better or even rarer?
>>

> Erm, no not really, these apps need a certain file to be in a certain
> place, isn't that what filedeps are for?

Don't you think instead the application should be fixed to stop doing something
so archaic as directly accessing font filenames where they are expected to be?

> I really believe all these packages should be fixed to stop shipping a
> private copy of these fonts. The way todo this is to symlink to the
> installed official versions, as the packages will actually look for for
> example
> /usr/share/blobAndConquer/data/fonts/vera.ttf and then do their own
> rendering (as overlay to a rendered game scene).

I just don't see why you would 'fix' the problem of shipping extra fonts by
rigging them up with fake font files and filedeps (isn't this exactly what
symlinking effectively is?).  As long as the apps are really requiring the fonts
by a specific filename they should ship the file, or stop loading them that way.

There certainly must be a better approach.  Even if the packages that need extra
fonts go ahead and ship them... then the majority of users who aren't installing
or updating these games do not have to deal with this.  The bandwidth usage
caused by downloading large filelists certainly must be higher than just
shipping some extra fonts in those game packages.