Obsolete obsoletes/requires (was: file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs)

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sat Mar 1 14:12:17 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-03-01, o godz. 08:14:19 seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
napisał(a):

> no one is saying this isn't a valid part of rpm. I'm only saying that
> using these kind of filedeps has a cost and I'd like to minimize that
> cost as much as possible.
While we're on that, I don't have any numbers, but I think we have more of
Obsoletes: and Requires: that can't match any package in any supported Fedora
version (or any Fedora version at all). For example, compat-libgcc-296 has:
Obsoletes: gcc <= 2.96, compat-gcc
of which first hits RHL 7.3 and the second - Fedora 3 at most. I don't think
anyone is going to upgrade their system even from Fedora 3 (we're at 9), not to
mention 6-year-old RHL.

I'm sure we can agree on some period of time while we keep those tags (like
4 instead of 2 supported Fedora releases - we still have the repositories
full of metadata), but after this time some robot should report them and
maintainers should remove them to keep things clean.

Of course it would need a white list of tags matching third party packages
which we want to obsolete, but I'm sure this list won't be long (my guess: 1
maintainer asking to keep some tag for 50 maintainers removing them - we
don't keep track on third party packages that much).

Apart from Obsoletes: not matching anything, the robot can also keep track of
versioned Requires: which don't need versioning anymore. This has the
potential of making metadata only a little smaller, but also makes dependency
resolving somewhat faster, I imagine.

Lam