FeaturePresto won't make beta freeze

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:12:21 UTC 2008

This is just a heads up to those that are interested that it doesn't
look like we'll be able to get FeaturePresto done in time for Beta
freeze.  We haven't moved forward a whole lot from where we were six
months ago when we realized that we were going to miss the F8 Beta
freeze.  To quickly recap what's done...

 * the yum-presto plugin works completely fine and has had no reported
   fatal (i.e. yum breaks) bugs in the last six months or so.
 * The test server has been generating deltarpms for F7 (i386, x86_64)
   and F8 (i386) for the last eight or nine months.  The only problems
   we've hit here have been when the master mirror has had problems.
   Approximately 200 people are using yum-presto with F8 and have set
   their baseurl to the test server.

...and what's not:

 * Build-system integration.  I'll be blunt.  I just can't do it.  It's
   not so much programming ability (though I'm definitely not at the
   buildsys guys' levels), but that I don't have the resources (time,
   ability to test on working buildsystem, etc).

So I'm going to step back from FeaturePresto.  Build-system integration
of presto will require someone who more familiar with the system.
Before Beta freeze, I'll push presto-utils-0.5, which will contain a
daemon that will take xml-rpc input calls to generate deltarpms, and I'm
also going to try to push yum-presto-0.5.  I will continue to maintain
the test server as long as my school will pay for it.

I want to thank Jeremy, Warren, Luke and Mike for the time they've spent
helping me with all this.  If there was ever a case of pearls before
swine, this was probably it.

Jonathan