RFC: Page size on PPC/PPC64 builders

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 17:39:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:17:58AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> > Tom - why is repeatedly pointing out the obvious "insulting". Surely not
> > listening is insulting.
>
> Its insulting to those of us who worked on the Secondary Architectures
> proposal, to the Fedora Steering Committee who ratified it, and the
> Fedora Board who signed off on it.

Why ?

Since when has disagreeing with someone been insulting. Sorry thats
pathetic. It is quite a different thing to point out that a decision
has flaws and is causing problems as David did, than to insult someone.

If David wished to insult the committee I'm sure he could have done so,
and in a cutting manner with some style. Pointing out flaws in a process
is not insulting people. Insulting is going around saying the people who
made that decision are [incompetent/stupid/etc]

> If I continuously pointed out in public that your kernel efforts are
> junk, and should be abandoned, I suspect you would be less than pleased.

If you had a technical point on which to disagree rather than a personal one
I would not. There are long standing disagreements of that nature in the
kernel and sometimes it is only because someone repeatedly points out
all the problems it causes that the bigger picture emerges and things get
changed. In other cases the kernel process continues to bump along such
a dividing line because there are conflicting (but good) goals and only by
seeing both sides of the impact of a change do we get the line roughly
right - something I think analogous to this case.

> The split between primary and secondary architectures enables secondary
> architectures to ramp up and grow, without unnecessarily burdening the
> Fedora infrastructure or packaging community. I've reached out to David
> and tried to work with him on resolving specific technical concerns, and
> he still reverts back to an attitude of badmouthing the entire effort.

I don't see pointing out the negatives to the decision as bad mouthing it,
not in the slightest. A group of people took a decision based upon some
perceived benefits and trade offs. That decision may well be the right one
but it has negatives as well as positives.

Alan