file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Mar 3 18:43:40 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
>>> So, maybe I'm insane, but if all you want is a sans bold, etc. font - that
>>> can't be more than about 20 lines of fontconfig code to look for a match
>>> for the 'sans' pattern and get a filename. That way:
>>>
>>> - you don't have to hardcode any files
>>> - you don't have to hardcode any requirements
>>>

>> Erm, yes and our mantra is upstream, and most of these apps are portable
>> (using SDL + SDL_ttf for example), how am I going to get this upstream,
>> last I checked there was no fontconfig under windows, let alone on devices
>> like the gp2x.
>>
>> Really this is not a problem of the apps, people should stop thinking about
>> this as being a problem of the apps, there are just too many apps doing
>> this, this should be fixed centrally.
>
> Let me try to understand:
>
> You would rather:
> - add 2000 more file entries to the metadata for everyone to download on every
>   update
> - manually track when files move and update all your packages
>
> than:
> - add and carry a ~20 line patch that absolves you from having to fix your
>   packages when they change?

<sigh> (getting somwwhat tired of discussion.

Basicly: yes
Because:
-adding a Requires: /usr/share/fonts/foo/bar.ttf line to my package is trivial
-font renames are rare
-even if font renames happen fixes is easy
-games were designed with a certain look and feel, depending on getting that
  exacy font, fontconfig is somewhat fuzzy with which font you'll get
-maintaining patches against each new upstream release for dozens of packages
  is not trivial, and that little snipped will have to be incorperated and
  maintained seperately for each of those dozens of apps
-you so far have failed to provide the same snippet for java and pascal
  (real world examples), python (likely will be needed too) and
  perl (so far an academical argument)

Regards,

Hans