file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 3 22:25:08 UTC 2008

Le lundi 03 mars 2008 à 13:01 -0800, Andrew Farris a écrit :
> Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Bill Nottingham wrote:

> >> Let me try to understand:
> >>
> >> You would rather:
> >> - add 2000 more file entries to the metadata for everyone to download
> >> on every update

2000 is nothing compared to other entries we carry and is at least used
by some packages.

> I would like to point out again, that because games are designed for a specific
> metric to fit within a surface in a pixel size the game developer chose to fit
> within theme of the game scene...

Does not matter because l10n will blow your exact metrics anyway. A game
that can't accomodate text shrinking or expanding a little has more
serious problems that font changes.

> That said, Hans you don't have to respond I know you've already responded ('live
> with it').  Still, it seems like a solution to significantly reduce bandwidth
> used by not pulling filelists as often exists and is simple.

Anyway the whole argument stinks. Yes filelists make transactions
slower. However these particular file deps will only cause the file
lists to be pulled when one of the aforementionned badly coded marginaly
used games is installed or updated so
1. this won't happen for the vast majority of users or updates
2. the costs are paid by the users of the problem packages
3. a single font file at gzip -9 is already more than 300K so the
savings for a user that installs multiple games are not obvious
4. it's a tempest in a teacup

So I really don't see what's so terrible that requires making Hans
uglify its specs and reneging on our general modularization and
de-duplication packaging principles.

--
Nicolas Mailhot