FeaturePresto won't make beta freeze

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:22:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 6:23 AM, dexter <dex.mbox at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  Well its a real sad state of affairs that the fedora decision makers can't see
>  the value in reducing everyones network footprint by default. I guess its
>  just not sexy enuff.

Speaking as a Board member.... presto is one of a multitude of things
that I would absolute love to find a way to help make happen faster.
But you have to understand that I don't exactly have resources at my
disposal that I can assign to the task of doing the heavy lifting to
get presto into place.. or anything for that matter.  Here's the hard
reality... one(if not the biggest) of the limiting factor for
everything the Fedora community is attempting to achieve is skilled
manpower.  And since at the Board level I've no way to 'hire'
day-laborers to help get things done when they run into a roadblock.
We have to be more creative in how we generate manpower... the right
manpower.  I have some ideas on that, but I'm not sure all of them
will work. But I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to attempt some of
them after the F9 release.

It's unfortunate that Jonathan wasn't able to take presto all the way
to an integrated feature.
But as a project we have to expect this to happen and we need to start
preparing for it.  Now that he's admited his limitations, its up to
the rest of the Fedora community to step in and take it the rest of
the way.  Every single person who invests their time and their talents
to Fedora is a decision maker.  We all decide what we work on as
individuals.  If we as a community want to see presto become
integrated, then we as a community need to be willing to step up and
lend a helping hand.

So here's the challenge.  I need people who are willing to make a
larger commitment to Fedora as part of wanting to see presto happen. I
need those people to step up and volunteer to some sort of
infrastructure apprenticeship.  I've no idea what that means exactly
at the moment, so it will be a sort of experiment.  But I do know that
I want candidates to step forward, and I'll be talking to
infrastructure about selecting one or two people from that group to
mentor.

I want this to be a somewhat competitive process.  The goal here isn't
to shove 20 people at infrastructure and bog down that group's work.
The goal here is to make an investment in one or two people that I
feel could make a larger impact inside Fedora if they were given a
modest amount of mentoring in a new area.

There are a lot of ideas floating around in terms of things to
integrate into our build system or our website offerings. We need to
find a way to build up the available manpower inside infrastructure to
integrate those items as each idea matures.

-jef