system-config-network & Zeroconf

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Mar 6 11:34:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 06.03.08 07:32, Matej Cepl (mcepl at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 2008-03-06, 00:45 GMT, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > others use it to refer to "mdns+dnssd". It's confusing. Use
> > "IPv4LL Link-Local Addressing" or similar for your stuff.
>
> IPv4LL sounds non-Gnomeish to me -- couldn't we stay just with
> "Link-Local Addressing" if there isn't fancier commonly accepted
> name?

"IPv4LL" is as "gnomeish" as "DHCP" is. There are RFCs named
after both of the terms.

So, if you don't want to see "IPv4LL", then what would you suggest as
a replacement for the string "DHCP"?

Quite frankly, if you are configuring your network in such a
professional way that you actually might play with these options you
should be grown up enough to deal with the real terms and actually
also *want* to deal with them.

This blog story of Havoc's is related to this discussion:

http://log.ometer.com/2008-03.html#5

Lennart