system-config-network & Zeroconf

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 14:47:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 01:45:00AM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> I don't have access to an Apple machine right now. But my (well
> educated) guess is that they just spit out their packets on the eth
> interfaces without directing them to a specific gateway. Translated to
> Linux that means they have a route like this:
>
>   route add default dev eth0
>
> instead of the usual:
>
>   route add default gw 47.11.8.15
>
> That basically causes those packets to be broadcasted to all people on
> the network. Then, every host that believes it can make use of those
> packets will route them on.

I could be wrong, but I think you're router (i.e. the box sharing
its connection) will have to have ARP proxy enabled on the IPV4LL
interface in order for this to work.  And, of course, it will have to
do some sort of NAT for the IPV4LL hosts to be able to communicate w/
the rest of the world.

Hth!

John
--