system-config-network & Zeroconf

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Mar 6 14:54:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 06.03.08 09:47, John W. Linville (linville at redhat.com) wrote:

> >   route add default dev eth0
> >
> > instead of the usual:
> >
> >   route add default gw 47.11.8.15
> >
> > That basically causes those packets to be broadcasted to all people on
> > the network. Then, every host that believes it can make use of those
> > packets will route them on.
>
> I could be wrong, but I think your router (i.e. the box sharing
> its connection) will have to have ARP proxy enabled on the IPV4LL
> interface in order for this to work.  And, of course, it will have to
> do some sort of NAT for the IPV4LL hosts to be able to communicate w/
> the rest of the world.

NAT yes, of course.

proxy arp, no. If you have a route like "route add default dev eth0"
this will cause all packets to be adressed to the broadcast MAC
address. All other ethernet devices on the same segment should get
packets labelled that way because they listen for both their own MAC
address and the broadcast MAC address.

Lennart