Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 7 17:51:00 UTC 2008

Till Maas <opensource <at> till.name> writes:
> 1) edit foo.spec with version 1, release 1
> 2) make commit tag build
> (immutable) tag is foo_1-1_fc9-build1
> and it does not build
> 3) add missing patch
> 4) make commit tag build
> (immutable) tag is foo_1-1_fc9-build2
> 5) build succeeds
> 6) cronjob creates immutable "alias tag" foo_1-1_fc9 with same contents as
> foo_1-1_fc9-build2

That sounds like an interesting idea, and if the choice is between that or
making foo_1-1_fc9 directly immutable, I definitely prefer your idea.
(Rationale: That way one doesn't have to bump Release for trivial fixes after a
failed build.)

I'd suggest, however, that the cronjob, when creating foo_1-1_fc9, also deletes
all the foo_1-1_fc9-build* tags. (Rationale: They're no longer useful once we
know which tag actually went into the successful build, and thus only clutter
up the history and slow things down (CVS is slower when there are more tags).)

        Kevin Kofler