Desktop Effects

Bradley J. Longo Bl0ngo067 at aim.com
Sat Mar 8 03:55:48 UTC 2008

A recent X11 update finally got my ATI card working, and so now I have
desktop effects.  While toying with them I started to notice some
strange stuff.  The first thing I noticed was that my keyboard shortcuts
stopped working because compiz has it's own.  I think it would be kind
of nice for the user if the desktop effects built into fedora used the
standard gnome or kde settings.  In addition, I also noticed that
suddenly the German translation became somewhat strange.  I started to
receive notifications in half English and half German, which were
driving me crazy.  Moreover, a lot of stuff was just in plain English.
Besides the translation issues there were some other quirks.  My panel
is set to remain hidden to the extent that I should want to navigate
through it, but with desktop effects on it likes to remain hidden.
Unfortunately, it only comes out when it wants to.  Last but not least
when raising, lowering, or muting the volume the nice volume control
picture thing (obviously I don't know what its called) fails to appear,
but the volume does change so yay.  There may be bugs for some of these
things on bugzilla, if not all of them, but I'm not sure if all of it
goes under compiz.  Knowing the names of certain things also might help
in filing this stuff.
If anyone out there knows, who I should tell about these issues, or
where they go under Bugzilla just send me an email.  I can easily file a
bug report.  Alternatively if someone reads this and is in charge of
working on one of the things I just mentioned, not filing a bug report
works for me as well.  I don't have any error messages so this is all I
have to offer at the moment.

Brad