F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:59:59 UTC 2008

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Anders Karlsson wrote:
>>> * Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> [20080310 12:18]:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> So the Fedora process is;
>>> "If *we* break it, it's *your* fault because *you* did not test it" ?
>>>
>>> I stand by my earlier comment that this shows little but contempt for
>>> the userbase.

>>> Oh, I'm sorry. I thought that the idea was to have a three-tier system
>>> with stable, testing and unstable repos (to borrow terms from Debian),
>>> where the idea is to run stable if you intend on doing something
>>> productive, testing if you participate in QA and unstable if you like
>>> living on the edge.
>>
>> That is in inaccurate picture which probably has alot to do with your
>> frustration over this.  Debian's unstable and testing are completely
>> separate repos not intended to get flowed together at a regular
>> timeframe.  Fedoras are meant to be very temporary, for testing.
>> Updates-testing is a place where things desperately need testing
>> interaction so they can be pushed because they are only there because
>> they fix known bugs... not because its new stuff that happens to be
>> unstable and is not getting dropped into the primary repo.
>
> If this is the expectation, why not enable updates-testing by default
> or at least encourage users to use it more?  I for one have never
> had it enabled (I do lots of rawhide testing though) as I was not aware
> of its nature or need.

I think there probably does need to be alot more effect made at publicizing
updates-testing and the need for feedback through bodhi.  It should not be
enabled by default because 'users' who aren't part of the feedback process, and
who don't know how to recover from issues like this, should not be installing
updates-testing.  I've always immediately enabled updates-testing on any stable
Fedora install I do for myself, but at present I only have rawhide installed on
machines.  It is not a painful process to help provide updates-testing feedback;
the vast majority of the packages end up stable and are not broken like this one
was.  Anyone who keeps reasonable backups of their data, and can handle manually
removing a package (and be able to decide which one was the problem), should be
using updates-testing in my opinion.