kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason...

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon Mar 10 14:04:17 UTC 2008

This has been going on of depending on kernels shipped with FC6-8 I
noticed it...
( HW: Dell inspiron 6000 ) ( yes with the latest kernel FC8 )

Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason bX on CPU 0.
You have some hardware problem, likely on the PCI bus.
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue....

Can we fix this messages somehow it's kinda misleading, it
suggest that the hw is failing when in 99% it's a buggy driver..

When I read "You have some hardware problem" I think
my hardware is failing and I need to backup my data
and replace the part that is failing....

Better would be..

Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason bX on CPU 0.
I have been feed [ driver X ] buggy driver ...
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue....

Best regards.
                  Johann B.