default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:08:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:56 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> 2008/3/10 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:19 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >  > 2008/3/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> >  > > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 13:34 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >  > >  > Is that on purpose and if it why?
> >  > >
> >  > >  Guessing how much space you'll need in your non /home partitions over
> >  > >  time is difficult.  Only you know how your install will be used.  That's
> >  > >  why the installer defaults to the easiest thing to guess;  How much boot
> >  > >  space you'll need, and how much swap space.  However since you know how
> >  > >  your install is going to be used, you are best to make those estimations
> >  > >  and setup your /home as you want it.
> >  > >
> >  > >  --
> >  > >  Jesse Keating
> >  > >  Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?
> >  >
> >  > Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
> >  > desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
> >  > Servers, and other fedora usages may need some other partition schemes
> >  > but a default home user has huge benefits from a dedicated /home
> >  > partition.
> >  >
> >  > It is probable that new users aren't aware that /home partition as a
> >  > dedicated partition has advantages and it would be best if anaconda
> >  > makes the "smart" partition scheme in which /home is a separate
> >  > partition in LVM volume, or a logical partition. Separate home has
> >  > lots of advantages that you are aware of, so why not just change the
> >  > partition scheme to take advantage of that?
> >
> >  Those users could read the Installation Guide, which talks about this
> >  exact situation and how to set up partitions that make sense.  I don't
> >  think it's unreasonable to expect that new users who are going to
> >  install should read the document that tells them how to do it.  There's
> >  not a lot we can do for people who won't read.
>
> Where on the Live CD can I see the Installation Guide?

Putting the IG on the Live Image isn't a good answer.  Carrying all the
languages we'd need to make that a good solution would knock other stuff
off the already cramped space.  However, we should link to the IG from
the site where the Live Image is downloaded.  People can download a copy
to read offsite, or read it off the Web.  I've already made a note on my
draft for the new download workflow, at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/Drafts/NewGetFedora .  And of
course, whether we link or provide it directly probably doesn't impact
whether people actually *read* it.