default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:50:31 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 02:06:56PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> +1
>> But that means you need to guess relative sizes for / and /home or offer
>> some understandable choices.
>
> Not if you make it dead-easy to resize LVM partitions.

I'll believe that when I see it.  If you reserve unused space that can
be used to grow either partition, you'll cause unnecessary trouble when
the artificially-small portions fill up.  If you don't, you'll have to
shrink the filesystem with extra space before you can grow the full one.

However, back to guessing sizes - a developer's guess about how much
space it might take in various places to accommodate the next few fedora
releases might be better than a new user's.   Also, with a fast-paced
disto like fedora, it would be nice to have a planned mechanism to make
upgrades dual-boot.  That is, reserve space for an alternate / and /boot
from the beginning with everything that needs to be preserved across
upgrades in /home, then make the next version install in the reserved
spots and set up a dual-boot back to the previous.  It's probably too
much to ask from the upstream apps to maintain compatibility in their
file formats, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com