default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:21:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Brendan Conoboy <blc at redhat.com> wrote:
> Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
>  > Perhaps we could create a new option, like "Recommended layout for desktops,"
>  > that uses a reasonable estimate of what the partition layout should be.  If a
>  > user wants to change that, they can (and they can always "review and modify"
>  > the partition layout), and they can always resize later if they need to.  New
>  > users are often unsure of what the partition layout is, and unfortunately,
>  > they often fail to read the install guide.
>
>  People can always resize / later and add a /home.  Every system needs a
>  / but not every system needs a /home.  Is there a strong technical
>  reason for a default /home?  Would that same reason also apply toward a
>  separate /usr and /var and /var/tmp?  Please, lets not get nostalgic for
>  SunOS 4 partitioning!

Novice users aren't aware what benefits /home partition offers, so
this would be much better if done by default. If they get their system
broken and their data and settings are in a safe location in a
separate /home partition they can easily reinstall fedora. I see this
often working with users new to fedora. SunOS4? I never even saw that,
what are you talking about? I'm just looking this from practical point
of view.  I explained why separate /home and not other partitions like
/var and others... did you read my initial post?

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic