default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Mar 10 21:29:55 UTC 2008

On 2008/03/10 22:14 (GMT+0100) Valent Turkovic apparently typed:

> If the partition is under 8GB then it would be better to have only one
> partition, but for anything beyond that there should be an 8GB / and
> all spare space allocated as /home partition.

> This is only a first thought that could off course be refined but IMO
> much better than only one / partition.

I think most users of disks more than a little under 20G would ultimately be
unhappy with that. I think I'd skip separate /home if HD size less than 19G.
So, something like this:

less than 19G -> up to 1G swap, balance /
19G-35G -> 8G /, up to 2G swap, balance /home
more than 35G -> 12G /, up to 4G swap, balance /home

Related:
In all cases where doz already is installed and is not already consuming 3
primaries, I would create a separate /boot of 75M-200M on a primary so that
standard MBR code could be retained. Optionally, put / on a primary. Either
way allows easiest possible restore of Linux bootability after doz gets
reinstalled.
--
"Let us not love with words or in talk only.
Let us love by what we do." 1 John 3:18 NLV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409