default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 10 22:16:22 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Duane Clark <fpga at pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I think most users of disks more than a little under 20G would ultimately be
>>  > unhappy with that. I think I'd skip separate /home if HD size less than 19G.
>>  > So, something like this:
>>  >
>>  > less than 19G -> up to 1G swap, balance /
>>  > 19G-35G -> 8G /, up to 2G swap, balance /home
>>  > more than 35G -> 12G /, up to 4G swap, balance /home
>>  >

>>  I would go way beyond that. Don't users install additional applications?
>>  I have more than 30GB of applications installed, though I will admit
>>  that is probably far from typical. I think for under 80GB of space, it
>>  should be a single partition. Over that, if you are going to go for this
>>  crazy scheme ;), make / at least 20G.
>>
>>  However, as a user, I can say that I will always use a single partition
>>  (as I have been doing since my HPUX and Solaris days).
>
> I have a lot, really a lot of applications installed and here is my df -h
> /dev/sda6             7,4G  6,1G  1,3G  83% /
>
> I'm talking about live cd + lots of additional software.
>
> What did you do? Install everything from DVD and then go to town on
> fedora repos? :)

No, I'm referring to non-fedora software. Some of it is commercial, like
Matlab and VHDL simulators. But there is quite a lot of free software
engineering software available, typically used by engineering students,
that can take up a couple of GBs per app.

For example, take a look at the free single file download here:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/i92linwp.htm
A whopping 1.7GB.