default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Tue Mar 11 02:02:16 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> writes:

> How do you preserve your /home files when you upgrade?

Upgrades don't touch /home.

Obviously you need backup for safety, though I think I never needed to
restore the system (Linux RH/Fedora) after a failed upgrade, fixing it
up was always possible.

Separate /home would be a bit better while changing distro, especially
if the old/new one doesn't use RPM. Still, even novice users
understand the need to save /home (and other files).

I guess for novice users a single / partition without LVM is best,
add anything and it's too complicated.
--
Krzysztof Halasa