default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:47:55 UTC 2008

Chris Snook wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Valent Turkovic
>>>  <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  >  Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>>>  >  desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
>>>
>>>  HAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>> You didn't understan me. 8GB for / and the rest of hard drive in /home
>> partition.
>> Now your wife has all the space she needs... is it now more clear?
>>
>> And how much does your wife has in / if you don't take in account
>> /home folder?
>>
>>>  My wife has 10+ gigs of just digital photos, and its just vacation
>>>  pictures.  And she's pretty much the epitome of a "desktop" user.
>>>
>>>  I know "desktop users" with small children and digital cameras who
>>>  blow through 20 gigs of space in personal photos in under 6 months.
>>>  And then once you get into digital video you blow through 100's of
>>>  gigs of personal home movies in mere weeks.  All of this activity has
>>>  become pretty common "home desktop" activity, for certain people.
>>>
>>>  I think your concept of "desktop usage" is extremely myopic and
>>>  doesn't take into account the explosion of personal data that is being
>>>  driven by personal digital media.  I'm not even talking about crap
>>>  like retail entertainment media that people purchase or steal.  I'm
>>>  talking strictly about digital media that "home users" are creating
>>>  with the digital devices and then organizing and editting on their
>>>  "home desktop" computers which isn't meant for public sharing.
>>>
>>>  -jef
>>>

>> I believe you didn't understand my initial post.
>> I said one partitoin for / and one for /home so there is space for
>> user data as long as they have big hard drives :)
>>
>> Valent.
>>

> What about a separate /usr, or a separate /var?  These can both be quite
> beneficial, but when you start carving up the disk behind the user's
> back, you're practically guaranteed to get it wrong much of the time.
>
> Providing better recommended configurations for novice users is a great
> idea that I completely support, but I will knife anyone who tries to
> make this default behavior in Anaconda, because it will screw up a whole
> bunch of things for me and many other people.

Isn't this a bit too strong language? Are you really a violent person?
Knife somebody because of partition scheme - have you been hanging out
too much with reiserfs crew? :)

Nobody is saying to make something default and to "screw up a whole
bunch of things" in the process, just to present the options for
different partition schemes would be really nice option.

* Default partition scheme
* Server partition scheme
* Desktop partition scheme
* Custom partition scheme