Including RPM's for older versions of firefox (and other applications)

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 01:29:39 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> With the inclusion of Firefox 3 in f9, how easy would it be to include
> RPMs for older versions of firefox.
>
> I do web development and while I can't wait to be able to use ff3 for
> personal browsing, I still need to be able to test with ff2 (and ff1.x
> would be nice too).
>
> This is something that has always frustrated me about Windows.
> Recently, I was offered IE7 as and update.  This is great, as I need to
> be able to test this browser, but now I have no ie6 to test with.
> Arghh.
>
> Can we do better, by offering installs of older browsers that can be run
> in parallel to make it easier to test browser based development?

The upstream tarball releases (ff 2.0.0.12 for instance) do not work due to
missing libstdc++.so.5.  I second this request for an FF2 package with its
embedded libxul.  There are some addons that may not get ported for awhile as
well which some users may wish to have access to via running ff2 at the same
time as ff3 (using different profiles).