Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 12 11:38:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:29 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> >  * Ban unicode in package names (no draft submitted)
> >   * Not accepted
> >

> Oops...
> The example of such an unicode name used is "écolier-fonts" .
>
> Then consider any user in non-latin1 locale. For example, my locale is
> Russian. I have no "é" on my keyboard...
You are reiterating my mantra, which had been the reason for me to
propose banning unicode in package names.

Unfortunately, my FPC colleagues seem to be keen on shooting themselves
into their foot and to be keen on letting Fedora's usability to regress
further.

> Well, I can use cut and paste, when I have a mouse and the text is
> already shown on my desktop.
> But what I have to do, when use just the cmdline interface? IOW, without
> any GUI -- just the Linux console, or remote ssh session? How can I fill
> the "é" character then?
>
> It seems that the only way to operate with such a filename is to use
> shell wildcards: "rpm -qa \?colier-fonts"  etc.
>
> Does it mean, that the command line interface as well as any other
> non-GUI core applications are now deprecated? ;)

Apparently that's what Fedora is heading to - Too many kids around, whio
have grown up with Win, I suppose.

Ralf