default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Wed Mar 12 13:49:51 UTC 2008

On 2008/03/11 08:56 (GMT-0600) Brendan Conoboy apparently typed:

> The only solid technical argument I can think of for a separate /home is
> to provide encryption for that volume.

I think you have tunnelvision. Have you sampled the default schemes of any
other distros lately?

I can't imagine a newbie not welcoming the intelligence of a separate /home
when they blindly reinstall after screwing something up, like an upgrade to a
newer version 6 months later, shortly followed by trying again with reformat
of /. You think most people, particularly the clueless, actually have backups
of their personal data? If you do I think you're dreaming of utopia.
--
"Let us not love with words or in talk only.
Let us love by what we do." 1 John 3:18 NLV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409