Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 12 13:28:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:57 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >> Well, I can use cut and paste, when I have a mouse and the text is
> >> already shown on my desktop.
> >> But what I have to do, when use just the cmdline interface? IOW, without
> >> any GUI -- just the Linux console, or remote ssh session? How can I fill
> >> the "é" character then?
> >>
> >> It seems that the only way to operate with such a filename is to use
> >> shell wildcards: "rpm -qa \?colier-fonts"  etc.
> >>
> >> Does it mean, that the command line interface as well as any other
> >> non-GUI core applications are now deprecated? ;)
> >>

> > Apparently that's what Fedora is heading to - Too many kids around
>
> Even at "Packaging Committee meeting" ??...

I would not claim this applies on FPC in general, but wrt. this matters,
I can't deny feeling so.

Certain members denied UTF-8 to impose usability problems and redirected
discussion to "compose keys" and "GUI tools", so ... shall they get what
they want ...

I had wanted to prevent harm from Fedora, but I failed :/

May-be these people need to trip these issues themselves to understand
why this is a usability regression, and why I consider allowing utf-8 in
package file names to be short-sighted.

Ralf